Sunday, June 21

Hehe turns out, yesterday was pretty epic. I don't know if I can give it justice even in story format. I went to a morning English mass at the most famous cathedral in Seoul, Myeong-Dong, and spent the rest of the morning in the Myeong-Dong area shopping, kind of. The place is kind of the rich, designer shopping district featuring all the fancy American and European brands at reall high prices (a t-shirt was like 65,000원; jeans something like 130,000원; and sneakers in the 165,000원 range). Also, according to a girl at one of the shops there, "English is prettier than Korean, so nobody really sells clothes with Korean words on it". It's a kind of strange mentality, I think.
I went to lunch at a place called Lotte (something) where they had Korean/American fusion foods like 'Korean Barbecue Burger' and 'Green Tea Ice Cream Twist'. The food was pretty good, and pretty cheap too! but definitely not representative of Korean food as a whole. I stumbled upon a skate park sometime near lunch too, and met some American military guys who were skateboarding there. I rested and took a break from speaking only Korean for a while -I've actually been dreaming in Korean too for the past couple days- and tried to shoot some videos, but couldn't get anything good.

After that I went to Namdaemun-Shijang, another shopping district which is kind of in and around this old building thing, in hopes of finding some Korean clothing, but again failed. I did get a nice tie and a cool t-shirt for 5,000원 each though. I also realized that there is a thing called trespassing, and police don't like that. On the 3rd floor of this market (did I mention this was kind of in an old building?) there was nobody except for me, and all the shops were closed up except for one place, which had a lot of clothes just sitting there and really nobody around. After a brief internal struggle, I decided to just move on without taking anything, and promptly ran into 2 police men and a shopkeeper down a staircase on the second floor.
They addressed me very abrasively in Korean, and I replied that I just wanted to find the way out, so they pointed me away and kind of remarked about why I was even there. I started to respond 'I just-' but they cut me off 'Don't just do anything, get out of here!'. They had seemed kind of angry, and I walked on remarking to myself that it was fortunate I hadn't taken anything from the shop upstairs.

At the end of the day, I was riding the subway and saw a stop called "Olympic Park" and decided to go. I saw what appeared to be some sort of semi-pro tennis doubles match, with a guy taking video and everything. There were a lot of people watching, but nobody at the door so I just walked in and watched too. Then I walked down to this building which had a lot of cars parked in front of it, and it so happened that there was a Freestyle Soccer Competition going on. I found a seat, watched for a while, but they spent a lot of time with speakers and such that I was getting a bit bored. There was a famous comedian there, and some singers, who I manged to meet and get a signed CD from. The guy also asked if I had a cyworld (Korean Facebook thing) so that he could be my friend hehe. Also, some camera guy came and asked if he could interview me about freestyle soccer, so I did a brief interview in English and might be part of some advertisement in the future. I left early after my interview, and actually rode the subway with one of the guys who was in the competition. He did a little exhibition while we were waiting for the train, and we talked a little bit in Korean.
It was a fun day, but I crashed really hard, and had some pretty strange dreams in Korean.

2 comments:

  1. Fortunate is right. Last thing we need is to see you blogging from jail. Glad you listen to your angel on your RIGHT shoulder instead of that little devil guy on the other one......

    Good to read you are having fun. Send photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom was way freaked out about this one when I told her. Big mistake. Write her directly some.

    ReplyDelete

Previous Adventures