Monday, June 22

I visited my first tourist place in Korea yesterday (Monday) and was very disappointed. I ended up going, just because I couldn't find any legit Korean style t-shirts at any of the other shopping districts, but I don't think it was a great decision. People talked to me in English >_< and I couldn't even haggle prices. I was able to buy a 1.5 liter bottle of Coke though, as seen in the pictures. The guy at the counter when I bought it said "Two Sousand, Won Hundred" and I just looked at him, finally asking 'mworagoyo? {what did you say?}'. He said it again in English 'Two Sousand, Won Hundred' and I still didn't understand. The guy and I just sat looking puzzled at each other for a while, wondering why the other guy wasn't speaking his own language. We finally sorted it out though, and I'm not going back to insadong anytime soon.

One more thing to note about insadong is that you can buy a lot of Hello Kitty stuff there (note: Hello Kitty is Japanese). In fact, you can buy a little toy of Hello Kitty wearing a Hanbok, korean traditional dress. It's the ultimate clash of old, Korean tradition with new Japanese cute toys, and was about the weirdest thing I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Adventures