Sunday, July 12

Life Outside Seoul

I'm officially in redneck Korea hehe. I think it could get a little more redneck since I'm still technically in a city, but still it's the South. There are some key differences for me, and I list

- there really are no other foreigners here
- people don't care so much about appearances
- so they just stare at me
- if you can understand what people are saying, they're actually quite friendly
- if you don't understand what they're saying, it just seems like they're angry
- they talk soo fast
- if you ask for someone to repeat something, they say it just as fast exactly like the first time
- if you ask them to speak slowly, they chuckle and say something else

I was really surprised, especially in Seoul, at how much I really need to use Korean language on a daily basis just to eat, go shopping, ride the subway, go to the bathroom, etc. People have this kind of English disease; when they hear English they feel like they're back in English class taking a test, so they get really tense and awkward. But people in Seoul seem pretty self conscious so they don't tell you, they just get shy and run away. Here in Ulsan the people aren't so shy and just tell me to cut it out and speak properly in Korean hehe.

I kinda enjoy it here, it's like being back in Texas.

1 comment:

  1. 은율 잘 지내? ^^ 궁금하네~~~~
    여행은 어때? 부산도착했나? -from 상균-

    ReplyDelete

Previous Adventures